Re: Fire defun by typing keyword

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: Fire defun by typing keyword
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 06:47:13 -0800 (PST)

On Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:37:42 PM UTC+5:30, Alan Schmitt wrote:
> Rustom Mody writes:
> > Only issue is the keyboard: the site suggests an xmodmap solution -- makes
> > emacs
> > practically unusable.
> > However on modern X-windows something like shell command
> > $ setxkbmap -layout "us,apl" -variant ",sax" -option "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
> > will let you input apl
> > I dont expect you can use it without X!!

> Is there way to try it with emacs on OS X?

Hi Alan

I believe that it compiles on Unix-ish systems so it should run on
mac. I have of course no first hand experience.

The other question is about input method.
I see
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1468922
that setxkbmap has disappeared from mac :-(

So we will need to look for an emacs (rather than window-system)
solution.

As it happens I asked on emacs-devel list
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-10/msg00365.html
and a long thread evolved in which among others David de la Harpe
Golden gave a first cut at an emacs input method
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-10/msg00513.html

Its really in hacked-up stage as of now and I am travelling so cant
see it through to something more polished for a few weeks.

Still if it works please let me know
If I were trying, Id try to first start apl in emacs with something
like eshell. Then use David's input method.

Rusi