Re: Learning "my emacs" from the start

From: Florian v. Savigny
Subject: Re: Learning "my emacs" from the start
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 10:26:00 +0200

  > From: Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnu.org>
  > Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 16:50:15 +0200
  >
  > It's an expression that alliterates on the "p" sound, that fits in with
  > the party analogy (another "p" word), and is somewhat tasteless but not
  > entirely vulgar (like some other "p" words you can probably imagine).

I did understand it is apparently a (n extended) metaphor that fits in
with the "party" (even if I did not notice the alliteration) but I am
still too dumb to understand WHAT you mean by it. I would definitely
like to.

  > Personally (another "p" word), i have done my part (and another!):
  > <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2013-11/msg00360.html>
  > since 2008, but hope to get back to jamming once gnugo.el bumps version.

I enjoyed your linguistic creativity there (which for me personally is
a particularly nice part of the whole GNU experience), but I would,
honestly, be happy if you tried to be understandable to more people
than just the initiated. "To jam" could, as far as I have been able to
determine (and I have checked general dictionaries, the New Hacker's
dictionary, and the Urban Dictionary), have a vast range of meanings,
starting from "to relax" and ending with the implausible (and
unmentionable). Determining that took me about 8 minutes, and I do not
know if the remark was even important enough.

--

Florian von Savigny
Melanchthonstr. 41