Re: Learning "my emacs" from the start

From: Hans BKK
Subject: Re: Learning "my emacs" from the start
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 06:12:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Monday, April 21, 2014 4:26:00 AM UTC-4, Florian v. Savigny wrote:
>   > It's an expression that alliterates on the "p" sound, that fits in with
>   > the party analogy (another "p" word), and is somewhat tasteless but not
>   > entirely vulgar (like some other "p" words you can probably imagine).
>
> I did understand it is apparently a (n extended) metaphor that fits in
> with the "party" (even if I did not notice the alliteration) but I am
> still too dumb to understand WHAT you mean by it. I would definitely
> like to.

The original context:

>> I agree OP's way is impractical and inefficient, but that doesn't mean it is
>> impossible or undesirable.  It's no problem for people to scope out the
>> joint before joining the party; the door is always open and the Software is
>> (as always, thank GNU very much) Free.  Too, some sidewalk spectacle is its
>> own reward, and keeps the puke out of the punchbowl...

I interpret this to mean that he is saying my (apparently quixotic) efforts in
this little project may if nothing else provide you (plural) bystanders with
some entertainment.

Analogy being that the emacs "in-group" are having a party, apparently
including in the substance-abusing sense.

My remaining "outside" is perhaps allowing the insiders to continue having fun,
as if my going over the top in such unorthodox ways could perhaps spoil the
party, as when an out-of-control reveler vomits into the punch bowl at a
bacchanalia.

>> Personally (another "p" word), i have done my part (and another!):
>> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2013-11/msg00360.html>
>> since 2008, but hope to get back to jamming once gnugo.el bumps version.

Jamming in this context implies having fun, but not necessarily relaxing - as
in music or dance, while in a state of flow, perhaps even ecstasy while being
"productive" - again, implications of a transcendental state.