Re: Helm (and?) or Icicles (possibly using Evil)

From: Hans BKK
Subject: Re: Helm (and?) or Icicles (possibly using Evil)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 08:45:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Monday, April 28, 2014 9:52:42 AM UTC-4, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
>> Your comment that you don't recommend either for emacs noobs - is that
>> because it will stop me learning the stock vanilla ways of completion or
>> simply because of the difficulties inherent in getting to know these complex
>> packages?

> I did not want to dissuade from starting with Helm or Icicles, I just
don't know if it's a good idea.  Depends on your way of learning,
probably.  Icicles and Helm are quite complex and offer substitutes for
diverse tools in Emacs.  Learning Emacs that way may let you miss some
basic stuff and features of vanilla Emacs.

Thanks for clarifying. In another post

http://groups.google.com/forum/?pli=1#!topic/gnu.emacs.help/czMrv9Zquks

I've outlined how I plan to avoid that potential problem; I'll keep a "vanilla"
instance open for comparison to the effects of other packages I'm checking out,
and for now I plan to only use Icicles or Helm in the emacs instance

"used for exploring source-code, docs, creating my own self-doc-set, etc"

As a side note, if anyone knows of significant issues running Evil in
conjunction with either Helm or Icicles, I'd appreciate a heads-up on that
aspect as well.