Re: A package in a league of its own: Helm

From: York Zhao
Subject: Re: A package in a league of its own: Helm
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 13:40:16 -0400

I think my biggest problem with `helm-find-file' is it's "auto-expansion", which
is really annoying. Most of the time I don't want Helm to automatically expand
the file or directory for me because Helm's expansion was always wrong. For
example, I press C-x C-f and I want to open the file "notes/foo.org", but as
soon as I typed note, Helm expand to notes/e which is obviously wrong, and I
always have to type backspace to delete the letter `e', and then type foo.org.
The reason for this is that Helm expanded "not", rather than "note" to "notes/",
and in order to get right I have to type "not" and stop, waiting for Helm to
expand to "note/" before keep typing. But the problem is that you don't know
where to stop typing and wait for Helm. What I want is that Helm do not
automatically expand for me. Instead, let me choose a candidate. Maybe this
behavior can be configured, but I never got the time to research on this yet.