email client for only reading email from mbox

From: right . ho
Subject: email client for only reading email from mbox
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 08:44:23 -0800 (PST)

Dear experts,
   I have tried multiple emacs email clients (gnus, wanderlust and a bit of
mew). Problem is that my company's IMAP server is very buggy - gmail imap works
using similar configuration in gnus and wanderlust but my company's IMAP gives
weird problems - hanging, showing a very small subset of mails. I never got
around to setting up mew properly.

Thunderbird works tolerably - and I only need emacs to read mail. Not to fetch
from IMAP, not to compose or send - just read and link from org-mode.

This gives me the idea that I should probably read thunderbird's mbox mail
storage from emacs. But the "simple" configuration guides for all emacs email
clients talk about the most popular use case - which is not mine. I am at my
wits' end and turn to your expertise.

Setting up another local IMAP server has the problem that I have 10 GB email -
millions in number. The machine I use at work is already not up to performing
its usual work - I am not sure if I can burden it with IMAP server. Secondly I
need to run on windows - dovecot sayis it is for UNIX.

Can one of you provide pointers to this usage? Summary :

I do NOT need :
1. fetching email, using IMAP or anything else.
2. sending email
3. filtering email
4. not particular on which emacs client to use, if it is good

Constraints I have :
1. Tons of email
2. Windows OS
3. Thunderbird's mbox files to be read-only
4. Reading mail and linking to mail from org-mode

thanks a lot
Bingo