Re: email client for only reading email from mbox

From: right . ho
Subject: Re: email client for only reading email from mbox
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 11:29:01 -0800 (PST)

On Friday, November 28, 2014 8:04:48 PM UTC+5:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 05:14:26 -0800 (PST)
> > From: Bingo
> >
> > After I converted to UNIX EOLs, it works - but it shows exactly 255
> > messages in a file with about 3000 messages. Am I missing some obvious
> > setting to see all messages?
>
> I'm not aware of any limitations in this matter.  E.g., I'm typing
> this from an Rmail INBOX folder that currently holds 2832 messages.
>
> What do you mean by "shows exactly 255 messages" -- shows where?  What
> does the mode line show in the major mode portion?  What happens if
> you say "C-u 1000 j" -- does it show the 1000th message?  What happens
> if you press 'h' -- does Rmail produce a summary of only 255 messages?
> Did you see any messages when you typed the original "M-x rmail"
> command (you can see them in the *Messages* buffer)?

Thanks Eli. Soon after loading, last email is open in the whole buffer - status
bar is saying (RMAIL 255/255).  The buffer is named same as the mbox file name
that I opened.

In a separate "Messages" buffer, there is a question of the file being large
(594MB), really open y/n ?  To which I had answered y. And another statement
"Counting messages...done". Nothing else.

In "Summary" menu, I can click on "All" - key for this is "h", a summary of
only 255 messages in a top half-window, numbered 1-255. Clicking on any of
these message headers opens corresponding mail in bottom half-window. I tried
searching (Summary -> By Regexp) , it searches only within those 255 messages,
but I know lots of other thousands of messages match my search. From my
educated guess, these are 255 latest messages in the MBOX file. 255 being a
nice round number, I suspect this is deliberate.

In this top-panel summary, I do C-u 1000 j. It comes to 255th message and
status bar shows "No following message". Seems like it tried to go to 1000th
message but found no message after 255th.

I am using emacs 24.4.1, x86_64, downloaded prebuilt for windows from somewhere.