Re: pirate bay, w3m, and the interface is just an interface (BEST post e

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: pirate bay, w3m, and the interface is just an interface (BEST post ever)
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 20:00:05 +0100

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> On 2014-12-14, at 15:46, Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> wrote:
>
>> Paul Rankin <paul@tilk.co> writes:
>>
>>> History has been full of groups who use their majority to arbitrarily
>>> strip the rights away from a minority. They had ways of rationalising it
>>> away too. Just be sure of who you're aligning yourself with.
>>
>> I suspect you have the typical capitalistic, myopic financial interest
>> on this topic. Otherwise is hard to understand why you say this things.
>>
>> The entertainment industry is at the forefront on the attack to free
>> speech, individual privacy and creativity. They are pushing for a police
>
> Just to be precise: what is at the forefront on the attack to free
> speech is the idea of "political correctness".

I was viewing the issue from a different POV: for implementing the legal
measures demanded by the entertainment industry it is necessary to
create a surveillance infrastructure. If the clandestine surveillance
schemas revealed by Snowden are frightening, the consequences of having
such *legal* device are overwhelming.

It is true that others are putting in place the Internet Police State
with other stated motivatios ("think of the children", terrorism...) but
the entertainment industry has a very effective method: famous, admired,
good-looking people saying that it is a noble goal.

> Though it might be the
> case that the media industry (which is something broader than the
> entertainment industry) is right behind it.

Yes. It is a confluence of groups fighting for the same goal because of
different reasons.