Re: sending mail using tls using Emacs under Windows

From: Q1999
Subject: Re: sending mail using tls using Emacs under Windows
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 00:46:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Monday, March 23, 2015 at 10:55:55 PM UTC+1, Will Parsons wrote:
> I'd like to be able to send mail using Emacs 24.2.1 under Windows and
> am having difficulties.  With the following in my .emacs file:
>
> (setq
>  send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>  smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
>  smtpmail-smtp-service 587)
>
> and a suitable entry in .authinfo:
>
>  machine smtp.gmail.com login xxxx@gmail.com port 587 password xxxxx
>
> attempting to send a message using the default method "Gnus Message"
> results in:
>
>  smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS
>  command first. y142sm1414876iod.25 - gsmtp
>
> Looking under Options => Packages, I see that gnutls is built-in, but
> running gnutls-available-p returns nil.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> --
> Will

for imap I have the following in my .emacs which seems to work. However it does
not work until you tell google not to block less secure log in attempts. First
time use, you get a gmail from google with instructions on how to do that.

;; Start GNUS
    (require 'gnus)
    (add-to-list 'load-path
                  "~/starttls-0.10")
(require 'starttls)
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
                                  (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                                  (nnimap-server-port 993)
                                  (nnimap-stream ssl)))

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 25 nil nil))
      smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 25
"yourEmailAddress@gmail.com" nil))
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 25
      smtpmail-local-domain "yourcompany.com")
;; End GNUS