Re: customizing minibuffer and the message bar, ie mode-line

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: customizing minibuffer and the message bar, ie mode-line
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 17:47:12 +0200

On 2015-04-20, at 15:31, Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> wrote:

> Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> gnuist006@gmail.com writes:
>>
>>> (4) How to make the message-bar more professional?
>>
>> Like Emanuel, i'm not sure what you mean by "more professional",
>
> Actually, I found the question somewhat insulting toward the Emacs
> developers.
>
> Therefore, I maintain that the question itself is unprofessional.

While I rather agree with the above (especially that "professional" was
not defined here, and it seems not necessarily to be an objective
quality - for instance, it might mean a completely different thing for
various, well, professions, like writer vs. programmer), one must admit
that there is a lot of information in the mode-line (even with only the
default settings), which may be distracting.

This doesn't help very much - only a tiny bit - but decreasing the font
in the mode-line might be helpful:

(set-face-attribute 'mode-line nil :height 0.8333)

(Personally, I did it with the (in a sense) opposite goal in mind: so
that I can cramp /even more/ info in the mode-line, e.g. Org-mode's
currently clocked task, which-function mode and a bunch of minor modes
I use every day.)

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski