Re: Gnus + emacs.stackexchange

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Gnus + emacs.stackexchange
Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 00:39:22 +0200

Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> writes:

>> Couldn't one post there anonymously at some point?
>> Perhaps they removed that possibility.
>
> I'm not sure, but if one could then they've
> definitely removed it.

I think it is a bit illogical there are accounts on
the SX sites and yet everyone is encouraged to edit
posts, including those that aren't written by
the editor.

On Wikipedia the whole idea is anyone can edit, and
the result of the collective effort will prevail in
the end (is the assumption). But it doesn't say who
wrote what with an assigned reputation to go with it,
which would seem to run contrary to that principle
(?).

But if it works I suppose it doesn't matter what is
logical or not. Personally I like no one to edit what
I write and if I make a mistake (it has been known to
happen) I'm confident someone will point it out, which
is the way I like it.

As for reputation that should be implied. During the
Russian civil war the Reds didn't have any signs to
tell who was the commander in each squad, but still
everyone knew who was the boss. It's usually not that
difficult to tell.

But again (explicit) reputation is a way of making it
a competition and it seems to inspire people to
produce material, so tho I personally am opposed to
that for several reasons I'm not blind to see that it
seems to work for them and to some extent to me, as
I often Google error messages and the like and find
the answer on one of them sites.

>> sx.el is worth a try no doubt but it would be even
>> better with a Gnus extention as it is the universal
>> tool for tech communication (mail, listbots,
>> newsgroups, RSS, and more) and people including
>> yours truly have taken its equally uniform
>> interface to their hearts or rather fingertips.
>
> I'd like to that eventually. Though I've used gnus
> before, I don't think any of the sx.el developers
> are deep into gnus.

No :)

It seems they have gotten quite far with sx.el, but to
do it with Gnus would be better for many reasons, and
one would be to be able to use all the stuff that has
been there for ages (the message-mode I'm using right
now, for example). But reinventing the wheel is not
necessarily a bad thing. The most important thing is
that you are able to use it with Emacs with the same
finger-habits and configs you are used to. Be it Gnus
or sx.el is secondary.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573