Re: Is gnu.emacs.gnus dead?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is gnu.emacs.gnus dead?
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2015 20:12:49 +0100

David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:

> Here is what I see in my list of groups for this
> group:
>
>       46: nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.help
>
> But I cannot post to it, it says:
>
> "Couldn't send message via news: 441 Article has no
> body -- just headers "

That error message sounds like some standard one in
the spirit of the web server error codes but Googling
it (front-page) shows only references from
lists/groups, and I can't find it in the RFCs or info
or man pages. And I can't find it in the source and
not in the binaries with strings(1). It must be
somewhere tho so keep looking...

It seems to indicate your post has just headers, and
no body. If you think differently, check out if this
variable is set in accordance:

    mail-header-separator

If that is right, try sending the exact message to
another destination - mail, nntp.aioe.org, whatever.
Does it work using the same interface?

> Maybe it is not sending it to the right server?

If you have Gnus directed at nntp.aioe.org by default,
and then you bring up the message buffer from
somewhere else, no, you can't type gmane.emacs.help
and send it, but even so it doesn't say the 441 stuff
but something like there isn't such a newsgroup.
However if you do it from the group buffer with point
at the gmane group (with
`gnus-group-post-news-to-group-at-point') then the
server is setup automatically.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573