Re: Is gnu.emacs.gnus dead?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is gnu.emacs.gnus dead?
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 03:41:25 +0100

David Hume <a10086773@hushmail.com> writes:

> I use gnus for email sometimes. But I use
> a different linux user to keep it all separate.
> I don't want to accidentally send mail to news or
> vice versa.

Well, that is the whole advantage: to have all
communication under one roof, one interface, one
method/arena of configuration (i.e., Elisp/Emacs),
etc. It is nothing that should be resigned over either
paranoia or self-doubt.

It also leads to new possibilities. While not
necessary it is a pleasant game to seek out such
mini-adventures. They keep you active.

For example, I often write posts to newsgroups and
then I include the e-mails of friends as well (the To:
header) which I know are somewhat into what is
discussed but do not follow the newsgroups anyway.
(To include them is lightning-fast because of the
aliases in the .mailrc file.) Then Gnus inserts
a small message saying it is a curtesy copy of
a newsgroup post...

To get the "other" header in a news as well as mail
setting, do:

    (setq message-default-news-headers  "To: ")
    (setq message-default-mail-headers  "Newsgroups: ")

> All is well which ends well. I can now post to
> gmane. Although I have forgotten what I originally
> wanted to post.

That's normal :)

--
underground experts united