Re: Reply to list [was: Different key maps in different dired buffers]

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Reply to list [was: Different key maps in different dired buffers]
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2016 04:51:07 +0200

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> What web form? This is a mailing list.

There are many mailing lists which require you
to register using such forms.

> One sends email using your MUA mail user
> agent. That could be any of emacs, gnus,
> mutt, mailx, and so on and so forth. Could be
> anything. Which could include a web form is
> one if talking about Gmail or Gmane.
> But those are clearly web mail interfaces.

Gmane is a mail interface but it is also
a replication of the newsreader interface and
Usenet system of communication which is the
most advanced and powerful thus far.

> Is this a good time to note that I can tell
> you are using the newsgroup interface.
> Which comes through the gnu.emacs.help
> newsgroup. Is gatewayed by email to the
> mailing list. And therefore I assume is
> incapable of CC'ing the original poster who
> is not subscribed?

:O

You do me an injustice!

With Gnus I can send the same message to
several newsgroups and mail addresses with one
keystroke!

I'll double this up for you right away :)

> This is a good example of one of the
> imperfections of the loosely combined
> systems. ... Trying to tie them together
> cannot be 100% perfect. But it has been this
> way for many years.

Man, think BIG!

It is *never* going to be "100% perfect".
The binding together of mailing lists, Gmane,
blogs (Gwene), Usenet, RSS, and so on, all this
is wonderful as people can use whatever
interface they like!

It is just like using mpsyt instead of the
crappy, commercial web interface to YouTube.
I'm sure there are problems with that to but
the freedom of interface and access methods
outweighs them one hundred to one, just as it
does here!

> The canonical mailing list header to identify
> mailing lists is the List-ID header. Not the To
> header.

Do all lists adhere to that?

The To header is on the contrary quite
indispensible...

> Many people do prefer Newsgroups or Gmane.
> Gmane is not really a newsgroup.

It is thousands.

> We do already have all of those things.
> Those are all different. And the seams
> between are not completely smooth
> between them.

They are smooth enough. With your efforts they
will be even smoother. But the objective is not
industrial smoothing but freedom of interface
and data access!

> Facebook has a lot of non-free problems.
> I would not recommend expanding our free
> libre discussion onto that non-free platform.
> It would prevent many people
> from participating.

We can't all but exclude ourself from a whole
generation of people either, can we?

People use it. They are much more comfortable
using it than sending mails. It is a sad state.
But it is the truth.

> And unless I am mistaken I believe all of
> those already exist and are all gatewayed to
> the same mailing list.

Even so, on Usenet gnu.emacs.help is
a newsgroup.

>> Is there a "GNU web forum" software?
>> On Usenet, there is rec.bicycles.tech - and
>> here is the same thing, as a web forum!
>> http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8
>
> Yes. There are many. Gmane is a good example.
> And also all of the web based newsgroup readers
> of which I am not familiar.

Gmane is *archived* online.

Here is a forum:

    https://www.flashback.org

If we had software for such forums - I don't
know if we do? - it would be a good thing if
that software included an interface to the
traffic here - i.e., yet another gateway!

                   - so far: 46 Blogomatic articles -