Re: Where has the rwxr-xr-x gone from dired?

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: Where has the rwxr-xr-x gone from dired?
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 13:30:48 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> That's what I do on Windows, using ls from Cygwin.
>
> Why from Cygwin?  Native Windows ports of ls.exe do exist.

My perception when I first started using this setup was that Cygwin was
the easiest way to get a fairly complete Unix-like command line
environment. Things like a shell, coreutils, findutils, GNU grep, git,
man, etc. Cygwin makes it very easy to install all those, keep them
up-to-date, and use them from Emacs.

> With respect to ls.exe specifically, the issues are that you might see
> access information that doesn't match what Emacs can and cannot access
> in fact.  The Cygwin emulation of Posix access bits works correctly
> only when all the programs involved are Cygwin programs.

I've definitely observed that they report different things but the
environment where I'm doing this is simple enough that it hasn't been a
problem. I'm almost always working with files that are on my local
machine and which I put there, so I rarely need to look at the
permissions anyway.

        John