Re: problem: M-a M-e gives symbol's function definition is voide

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: problem: M-a M-e gives symbol's function definition is voide
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 12:14:10 -0800

Krishnakant <krmane@openmailbox.org> wrote:
> I am really confused as to what might have happened in this case.
>
> I open a file in python-mode
>
> there is lot of code in it.
>
> now when I try doing M-a or M-e to move back and forth between
> function or class definition, I get the said error mentioned in the
> subject.

Please check the *Messages* buffer and see if there is anything more to
the error message. Specifically, I would expect it to say which symbol's
function definition is void (example below).

> I use emacs 24.5 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and I have elpy with company-mode
> enabled.
>
> Can some one tell me what must be going wrong here?
>
> I actually can't use any navigation function in python-mode because I
> get the same error "symbol's function definition is voide ..." for any
> shortcut I press.

Something is attempting to call a function that doesn't exist. You can
manufacture a similar situation with something like:

(defun broken-command ()
  (interactive)
  (no-such-function))

(global-set-key (kbd "<f12>") #'broken-command)

After evaluating those forms, if I type f12, I get the error:

broken-command: Symbol’s function definition is void: no-such-function

Because there's no such function as no-such-function ;-)

> of course M-C-i works with company so I know other things are going
> correct.
>
> Indentation also works correctly.
>
> But it is very important for me to move between blocs of code (one of
> the major reasons I have shifted to emacs ).

Once we know what the relevant symbol, this will likely be fairly easy
to track down and fix.

        John