Re: [GNU-Emacs] request: better subject lines

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [GNU-Emacs] request: better subject lines
Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 19:25:52 -0400

> Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:
>
>> But Gmane has been discontinued since last July
>> 2016. It is not currently an option for people.
>> Offline for most of the past year.
>>
>> For those wishing to read up on the saga these three
>> in this order should get you up to speed on things.
>>
>>   https://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2016/07/28/the-end-of-gmane/
>>
>>   http://gmane.org/find.php?list=help+gnu+emacs
>>
>>   http://home.gmane.org/
>>
>> I was sad to see Lars discontinue Gmane. It was
>> a good resource.
>
> For his work on Gnus and Gmane, Lars is a *legend*
> were it so to stop forever tomorrow. But it hasn't
> stopped and God willing it won't. I have been using it
> all this time and I still am, I am typing this in
> a message buffer hooked to gmane.emacs.help !

AFAIK, Lars has dissociated himself from Gmane, but he has given the
spool to a couple of people who are trying to bring everything back
(with a new implementation). The NNTP part of this works fine (I too
read the mailing list as a news group from gmane), but there is a lot
of work still to be done (e.g. search does *not* work afaik). The new
people set up a blog (https://home/gmane.org/) but there has been no
progress update since last September. I hope they are still working on
it.

--
Nick