Re: [GNU-Emacs] request: better subject lines

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [GNU-Emacs] request: better subject lines
Date: Thu, 04 May 2017 13:02:01 -0400

> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> AFAIK, Lars has dissociated himself from Gmane, but
>> he has given the spool to a couple of people who are
>> trying to bring everything back (with a new
>> implementation). The NNTP part of this works fine
>
> ... you mean there are other parts of Gmane?

:-)

>> (I too read the mailing list as a news group from
>> gmane), but there is a lot of work still to be done
>> (e.g. search does *not* work afaik).
>
> "search" - you mean search for words and phrases in
> posts, like a web archive for all of Gmane?
>
> I heard of a web interface to it all but never used it
> and I think that is a common situation.

You are better off then:

If you *had*, you'd be spoilt by it, and you would be crying
the bitter tears that those of us who did are now crying.

> Besides, Gmane not being uniformly searchable doesn't
> mean the contents isn't searchable on the web, because
> those mailing lists have archives of their own - just
> Google your own posts or see in the headers where it
> ends up.

I have tried to use the search "feature" on
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/ e.g.

Two non-exclusive possibilities: I don't know what I'm doing or it is
a cruel joke. Gmane's search might have had problems, but you could
find things with it.

--
Nick