Re: I want to contribute and chose right project for graduate thesis

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: I want to contribute and chose right project for graduate thesis
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 18:01:42 +0200

Mario Krajačić wrote:

> I am student of IT from Croatia on finishing
> year for my bachelor's degree.
>
> For the graduate thesis I would like to
> contribute some open source project.
> For example it can be some bug fix.

For a bachelor degree report, it should be more
than just a bug fix. It should be a small
module, which is to your liking from day one.

It shouldn't be a bug fix as that would be too
small and confined, also, it would be defined
by what other people haven't done - and why?
because it is too trivial or uninteresting or
what is there already is a total mess? all red
flags. If your project is about what other
people have not done, it should be because they
haven't thought about it at all or only dared
dream about it :)

> Language in I work is C.

At your level you know several languages and
learning a new one isn't a problem. Just make
sure the language you learn is, again, to
your liking!

If you like Lisp, it well within your
capability to pick up Haskell in a couple of
weeks. But if you don't like Haskell, it is
still a bad move. And how do know if you like
it before you know it? You just know.

Final word is you should believe and enjoy the
project from day one. Don't do it just because
you feel you are able to do it and it is the
next step in your "education career".
Because of course it is and of course you are
able to do it.

And don't be stressed to "get going already".
Look for a good project until you know for sure
it is the one to go for. This, you simply feel
when you see it.

PS. Probably you will use several languages.
    For my CS Master project, I used C++, Lisp,
    and zsh (for support/tests), with LaTeX,
    groff, and gnuplot if you count the
    document itself :)

--
underground experts united