Re: Bookmarks: separate set of bookmarks in directory

From: Alan E. Davis
Subject: Re: Bookmarks: separate set of bookmarks in directory
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 11:47:08 -0700

Drew:

Thank you for your response.  I have re-read that section now, and I can
see some ways that it could help me.  My chief concerns are:

   1.   for transparency: i don't want to have to think about the mechanics
   of bookmarking or calling or saving them.
   2. The dropbox bookmarks could, if possible, be stored in one bookmark
   file.  Any time I access the folder, using emacs, I would want to see the
   list in a listing such as "list-bookmarks" provides.
   3. Each machine has a unique set of groupings and files, which would
   ideally be stored in a single unique bookmarks file.
   4. Saving bookmarks would (in my perfect world) put them into either the
   local or the dropbox bookmarks file, perhaps through a regular expression
   recognition process.  Perhaps just recognition of "~/Dropbox" or whatever
   other top level directory name would make this possible?
   5. If the previous is even possible, it would be sufficient (I think)
   for one bookmark file to load another.  Perhaps the idea of setting a
   bookmark file bookmark would make this easy enough.  Still I wonder about
   the saving.

I am sorry if this is overly convoluted or if I have missed something
obvious.

(I might just go ahead and use the directory-wise bookmark files ploy.
Would there then be an easy way for these to be called by the directory
bookmark file in the toplevel subdir?  (And hence be visible at a glance.).

Thank you again,

Alan

--
[I do not] carry such information in my mind since it is readily
available in books. …The value of a college education is not the

"Sweet instruments hung up in cases. . . keep their sounds to themselves."

         ---Shakespeare, _Timon of Athens_