Re: DWIM region (was: Re: count regexp hits)

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: DWIM region (was: Re: count regexp hits)
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 06:28:35 +0100

On 2018-01-07, at 21:57, Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
>> 1. Lack of space after `let*'.
>
> This is so one can change `let' into `let*' and
> back without moving anything else.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't mind just one "let"
> which would be equal to `let*', as legend has
> it the supposed parallelism of `let' is an
> urban legend, however now when it is like it is
> it would be confusing (to other people) to
> always use `let*' when there is no reason to,
> even tho there is equally little/as much reason
> to use plain `let'...

Well, for me, `let*' is an indication that `let' is not enough.  But
it's a minor point, agreed.  I don't know about relative efficiency of
both.

>> 2. Unnecessary space before `))` (twice).
>
> This style I got from this book:
>
>     @book{land-of-lisp,
>       author     = {Conrad Barski},
>       ISBN       = 1593272812,
>       publisher  = {No Starch},
>       title      = {Land of Lisp},
>       year       = 2010
>     }
>
> It was one of the first books on Lisp that
> I read and I think the only one I completed.
> I've heard CL people don't like that style.
> But now that I say it I actually don't remember
> what dialect was used in the book. For sure it
> wasn't Elisp.

Well, that is really strange.  Could you explain the reason for this
space being there and not somewhere else?

>> 3. Unnecessary double spaces in lines with
>> `start' and `end' (I understand their
>> purpose, but my OCD does not like them
>> anyway).
>
> That's known as indentation. If it looks
> strange to anyone, perhaps it is time to stop
> using Comic Sans MS as the default font...?

Well, it's not standard, I'd think.  And for me, `indentation' is at the
bol, this I'd call `alignment'.  And again, I do understand the reason,
I just don't like this style.  It's not something I'm accustomed to.

,----[ Paul Halmos in "How to write mathematics" said ]
| [W]henever the “reform” is introduced it is bound to cause distraction,
| and therefore a waste of time, and the “saving” is not worth it.
`----

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski