Re: DWIM region

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: DWIM region
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 04:31:14 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> It separates close parens whose matching
> opener is on the same line from those whose
> matching opener is one previous lines.

Yes, with the possible exception

    (I know
       list
       that
       will
       get
       on
       your
       mind
       get
       on
       your
       mind
       get
       on
       your
       mind)

> Not sure why that would be important, tho.

Some say the Lisp or LISP acronym is for "Lots
of Irritating Superfluous Parenthesis".
Other say I'm in complete denial. But neither
are true!

Well, there can be a small repetition of
parenthesis at the end of a long defun.
This indentation/spacing style, while perhaps
of an artificial nature, is one method as good
as any of breaking them up into smaller units.

Second, it is a way to keep alert. You know
when they teach very young men (?) to march in
the army? The first (left) step, everyone says
"ONE", the second (right) step, everyone says
"TWO", but the third (left) step, no one should
say anything! and the fourth (right) step,
everyone shouts "FOUR" to complete
the sequence.

A kid can understand this rule, intended as to
not fall into a completely hypnotic trance
(because that would be to pleasant for army
life, and besides detrimental if the enemy
attacks while the troops march by in a dreamy
state without notice).

However understanding is not the same as doing,
and if there are a hundred guys marching (this
is not the US or Israel, we almost don't have
any female soldiers), if a hundred guys are
doing it, and mental/physical fatigue sets in,
there will always be one dude who alone shouts
"THREE" in a loud and self-confident voice.
And the sarge will get angrier and angrier
shouting "THERE IS NO THREE!" back each time
with a red face.

You see? It's a very pleasant game.

--
underground experts united