Re: on adding a function call to a s-exp

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: on adding a function call to a s-exp
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:01:46 +0200

On 13.06.2018 12:44, João Távora wrote:

FWIW (he ducks), I work with a Lispy language, Elisp ;-).  And I
don't use any "structured-editing" feature (crutch / ball-&-chain)
such as `paredit' or `electric-pair-mode'.  I'm non-electric all
the way.

To me, having an editor automatically insert a closing delimiter
each time I type an opening delimiter is a bother, not an aid.

For the sake of improving electric-pair-mode, can you explain exactly
when/under what conditions it is a bother?

I'm asking because that's precisely what electric-pair-mode attempts: It
*doesn't* insert a closing delimiter "each time", only when it guesses
that it will not bother you.  If it is mis-guessing some situation I
would very much like to know about it.

João

Hi João,

after being interested resp. impressed by electric behavior at earlier times, finally switched off all electric in all modes.

Coding circumstances are a way too complex to foresee all reliably. In the result electric might work mostly but never completely. If it fails, you might have for switch it off. Which needs to identify which electric caused it. This will be a pain for the beginner, it breaks the workflow in any case.

Cheers,

Andreas