Re: 1L?

From: Van L
Subject: Re: 1L?
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 21:31:52 +1100

>> I am unfamiliar with the term "1L", and Google wasn't much help. What
>> does it mean beyond "one liter"?

> I think he meant just that: one liter, i.e. an approximate upper limit
> on the size of the machine.

I picked it up from the Lenovo brochureware techspecs. Perhaps this
capacity measure has origin in watercooling. The specs mention
certification for independent software vendors and that I expect means
chances are better for Debian and the like to "just work".

> Shouldn't *all* "1L machines" run Emacs
> just fine?

It takes quite a while for gnus to process L117196 on entry to
gmane.emacs.help.  And, multitasking is impossible while this is
busy. A 6core cpu with HT won't make a difference to the 4core without
HT in performance, here.

> Anyway the RPi, even including the case, should
> be way below the 1L constraint

The worry is RPi's hobbykit won't cool adequately. The bits and pieces
wearout quick, for example, the SD card, &c, &c.

--
© 2019 Van L
  gpg using EEF2 37E9 3840 0D5D 9183  251E 9830 384E 9683 B835