Re: 1L?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: 1L?
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 16:42:44 +0100

Van L wrote:

>> Shouldn't *all* "1L machines" run Emacs
>> just fine?
>
> It takes quite a while for gnus to process
> L117196 on entry to gmane.emacs.help. And,
> multitasking is impossible while this is
> busy. A 6core cpu with HT won't make
> a difference to the 4core without HT in
> performance, here.

What is "L117196"? For me, it doesn't take many
seconds to enter a newsgroup after the initial
reading is done. You can even cancel all the
messages after being absent for some time.
That will be even faster.

>> Anyway the RPi, even including the case,
>> should be way below the 1L constraint
>
> The worry is RPi's hobbykit won't cool
> adequately. The bits and pieces wearout
> quick, for example, the SD card, &c, &c.

Well, like I said, mine is from 2015.
Maybe I got it in 2016. Still runs. But the SD
card, and in particular swap space, can be
a problem, which is why I don't really
recommend the RPi as a development platform.
This doesn't mean you can't do programming on
it, and I've done tons. But a full-size
computer with plain Debian is probably better.
Which also makes sense.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573