Re: Why is Elisp slow?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why is Elisp slow?
Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 22:45:00 +0300

> From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 21:13:28 +0200
>
> > It's certainly a reason to report this to the Org developers, and ask
> > them to speed this up.
>
> Well, I don't consider it a bug in Orgmode - rather a bug in my workflow

Maybe improvements in Org could make your bug less prominent...

Then again, it could be that there's some trick up Org developers'
sleeve that they could teach you.

In general, anything surprising/inconvenient/buggy should be reported,
you can never know what will come out of that.

> > (My personal rant to package authors is that they are way too eager to
> > implement stuff in Lisp which cannot possibly be fast enough or
> > scalable enough, instead of urging Emacs to provide new C primitives
> > and core features, or, better, submitting patches to implement such
> > features in C.  Two cases in point are linum-mode and fci-mode.  End
> > of rant.)
>
> That is an interesting POV, although I'm not sure if I agree.  IOW,
> I fully understand why people might do so.  I, for one, consider myself
> pretty fluent in Elisp and hardly literate in C.

Submitting changes in C is a bonus, it's good enough to describe the
use case and ask for primitives to support it.  Someone else might get
motivated.  It could even be very easy, like with fci-mode.

I'm quite sure that some of the bad reputation of Emacs is due to
incredible things people do in Lisp, which then make Emacs look
sluggish and bloated.