Re: Why is Elisp slow?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why is Elisp slow?
Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 23:20:54 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 22:12:50 +0200
>
> > I have no problem with people who code something for their personal
> > use.  That's none of my concern.
>
> The sceneario I described was about a package maintainer, such as Org.

That was exactly my gripe.  I'm saying that implementing something for
others should be considered more seriously than just "let's code it
because we can".

> > As for convincing: that is not required.  Just put the request in the
> > open, and be done.
>
> That's not a solution if you are package maintainer trying to solve a
> performance problem within a given time frame.

Of course it is: with the Lisp implementation already in place, you
don't need to wait for anyone or anything.  But requesting a feature
in addition to that does two things: (a) it alerts others, including
Emacs developers, to the need; and (b) it announces load and clear
that the package maintainer is not really happy with the current
solution.  Without such a request, no one will even know that there's
a problem here waiting for a volunteer.