Re: Why is Elisp slow?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Why is Elisp slow?
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 09:08:36 +0200

On Fri, May 03, 2019 at 02:44:16AM +0200, Ergus wrote:
> WARNING: This email has plenty of personal opinions.
>
> On Fri, May 03, 2019 at 08:39:43AM +0900, ????????? wrote:
> >
> >>Probably (I have a dream [...]

> >This, very much sounds like Guile Emacs. Anyone knows how Guile Emacs
> >is doing????? It???s very much looks like vaporware these days :-(
>
> Yes, that is the dream (at least the closest we have ever been)
>
> >Is upstream considering Guile Emacs as a valid solution?
>
> I made a similar question some time ago and the answer is that there is
> not action. :( In fact there is not too much action in
> Guile's development .
>
> Not many projects feel interested in Guile [...]

C'm on, folks. Dreaming is OK, but once you wake up, you can
try to exercise your search engine skills. Guile is well and
alive (the Guilers meet every year at FOSDEM, talk videos seem
to be available), Guile's maintainer (Andy Wingo) is doing an
excellent job, and one of the more active Guile projects (Guix)
has just celebrated its 1.0 release.

The official web site is a good starting point:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/

Ah, and Andy Wingo's blog is also recommended reading:

  https://wingolog.org

As to guile-emacs, there are two things here: first, the project
needs hands, it seems. I see four hands out there ;-) Second,
not everyone here likes Scheme (and they might be right), so it
would need some convincing (be sure to read the Emacs history by
Stefan Monnier and Michael Sperber, posted elsewhere in this list).

A good starting point on guile-emacs would be

  https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GuileEmacs

So -- lots to do!

Cheers
-- t