Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 01:40:51 +0300

On 13.05.2019 17:38, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Out of the important features listed in

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_development_environment

we completely lack support for code completion and refactoring.

JFYI: Eglot, published in GNU ELPA, is a an adequate LSP client, and it integrates with Company (for completion) and Flymake (to show syntax errors, missing imports, etc). Most of the time the user just needs to install a corresponding language server program.

It doesn't offer as comprehensive set of refactorings as the contemporary Java IDEs, but it does support some.

Our code search capabilities are rudimentary, and don't
support well modern languages like Java and C++.

See above. There are language servers for Java and C++.

Sure, add-on packages are available to provide some of the missing
features, but they don't always work well together, and ion any case,
Emacs should have these features built-in, if we want (and we do want)
to claim the title of programmer's editor.

I think we'll get there after we figure out how to bundle some ELPA packages together with the core for releases.