Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 17:51:59 +0300

> From: Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu>
> Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 13:27:31 +0200
>
> > It depends on the language, and I don't
> > really know where to draw the line. On my
> > daytime job I deal with C++ projects that
> > have a few million lines of code, and Emacs
> > OOB is only borderline useful there.
>
> And what makes it not useful is the lack of
> refactoring, and poor integration with
> debugging and the build process?

Debugging works well enough, but code search is very simplistic
(brings a lot of false positives, because it's basically dumb text
search, not sensitive enough to the language), and refactoring doesn't
work at all, because we have no facilities for that.  For small
projects, you could use 'A' or 'Q' in Dired, but that quickly becomes
unworkable in large projects.