Re: Does emacs cache something on windows when invoking call-process?

From: Eighty Megabytes
Subject: Re: Does emacs cache something on windows when invoking call-process?
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 19:08:53 +0200 (CEST)

> I have no idea how rpgrep works, but if it accesses some database,
> perhaps it takes time when the database is not in the system's disk
> cache?

Then it would be slow from the command prompt too. I tried it first
from the command prompt and it was instantaneous. Then I switched to
emacs and run the exact same command again via call-process and it
took 6-7 seconds. (If I then try immediately from the command prompt
again then there it's instantaneous again,)

> This is pure guessing on my part; please let's use a command
> that is likely to be on any Windows machine.

I tried it with grep and I don't see the slowdown there, so I'm
out of ideas. (Simply using grep is not the answer, because
command line ripgrep is several times faster than grep, that's
why I wanted to use it from emacs too.)

I'll think of other ways of tracking down the problem. E.g. using
some systrace tool or something too see where emacs spends that
6-7 seconds.