Re: How to make emacs stop trying to load /home/sb/.emacs after su to ro

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: How to make emacs stop trying to load /home/sb/.emacs after su to root?
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 07:30:31 +0200

>> I can't find any relevant change in Emacs in that timeframe.
>> OTOH it seems that the `su` that comes with Debian may have changed

> Hm... so I may have been barking up the wrong tree...?

However, there is something that I would say actually is a bug, ie. this
bit, quoted from an earlier message:

>> And the difference is more drastic than it would appear to be, because
>> emacs loads the .emacs file in my home directory, and then fails
>> miserably because that confif files expects a lot of emacs packages that
>> emacs is unable to find (ie. it does not use the packages under the
>> original user, ie. ~sb/.emacs.d/elpa/ ).

IMO If emacs decides to load the .emacs from a different place, it
should also load all user specific config from that place (~/.emacs.d/
.gnus.el whatever).

(If emacs had loaded all of its config files from the same place it
loaded .emacs, I would never have noticed any breakage and would have
happily used my native emacs config as root)