Re: vc for git users.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: vc for git users.
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 15:48:34 +0200

> Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 03:42:21 +0100
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
>
> I was referring more to the terminology in the documentation, not the
> functionality. Only by reading the
> documentation a git user can't understand what means "next action".

Of course.  But the same is true for every non-trivial Emacs command,
isn't it?  For example, "C-x `", a.k.a. "next-error".  Why do you
expect VC commands to be more self-explanatory?

> Or can't find if it is possible to stage changes (or even if it is
> needed).

Staging is Git-specific.  VC doesn't support that, at least not
AFAIK.  VC does the staging when necessary behind the scenes.  The
user only sees the "commit" operation.

> There are also some git specific interactive functions I didn't find the
> documentation for them.

Which functions are those?

> It looks like the documentations and functions were actually written for
> older VCS with different
> terminologies/steps/workflows. Not common anymore in git or mercurial.

Are you sure?  I see the modern VCSes described in the VC chapter.  We
actually made an effort a few years back to describe the modern
systems before the older ones.  Of course, there could always be ways
to improve the documentation, but the general assertion that the
manual is written for old VCS systems is factually incorrect.

Bottom line, I don't understand the specifics of the complaint.
Perhaps you have in mind a user who wants to find an Emacs command for
every Git command they are familiar with: vc-push for pushing, vc-pull
for pulling, vc-merge for merging, vc-blame, vc-cherry-pick, etc.  But
VC doesn't work that way, it attempts to abstract common VCS
operations and provide a unified UI that depends on specific VCS
features as little as practically possible.  That has a disadvantage:
you need to learn the VC concepts and commands before you can use them
efficiently, but the significant advantage is that once you learned
them, you can use them with any supported VCS.