RE: No Help Window from *Packages* - No Package Specified Error

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: No Help Window from *Packages* - No Package Specified Error
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 17:23:11 -0800 (PST)

> > Began commenting out below the stack of required expressions. With
> > el-get again being required/loaded from init.el, the list-packages
> > help window was disabled with the "No package specified" error message
> > regardless of the section disabled
> >
> > Then I commented out all of the required expressions at the top of
> > el-get.el and the error went away. Began uncommenting and found that
> > the error shows again where
> > (require 'el-get-methods)
> > is executed.
> >
> > May I conclude that it is coming from el-get-methods?
>
> Continuing to backtrace from el-get-methods to that module's
> dependencies, I got to el-get-elp and find that when the following
> expression at
>
> or about line 17 of el-get.el
> (require 'package nil t)
>
> is executed, the error occurs. :) - it's that darn 'package package again.

I don't see how that sexp would cause a problem.
If package.el(c) is already loaded then that
does nothing.  And if it can't be loaded it
also does nothing (no error).  Maybe the cause
is nearby?

Anyway, consider reporting what you've found
as a bug: `M-x report-emacs-bug), providing
a more or less minimal step-by-step recipe
to repro it, starting from `emacs -Q'.  Thx.