Re: Emacs as a translator's tool

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs as a translator's tool
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 10:51:26 +0200

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

>> Can't you do ecat-highlight-next-sentence and
>> ecat-highlight-previous-sentence by just moving
>> point to the next sentence and then do
>> ecat-highlight-this-sentence? Feels more
>> natural...
>
> That would completely defeat the purpose. All CAT
> stuff (as many people already told) is about
> efficiency. One of the main points of my (very
> simple) code is that I do not have to move
> point anywhere.

Because its inefficient? ... you are a fast
translator :)

but ... OK.

Only it still looks wierd with the same code two
extra times.

> Well, you already got your answers, but let me
> stress that one of the important points is
> extracting text from some strange formats and
> putting the translation back into it. Think Word
> documents with complex formatting, or HTML with
> many tags/attributes. If you are to translate
> things like

> class="dancing-elephants">big red button</span> to
> launch the nuke</p>
>
> and all the markup has to be there in the
> translation, you really don't want to type it by
> hand - it's time-consuming and error-prone.

Well, that's a task for a parser rather to convert
between one format to another... very mechanical
and easy.

>> Some idiomatic phrases are pitfalls tho.
>> For example the English "more or less" looks like
>> the Swedish "mer eller mindre" (which means
>> "correct but with room for fine details") but the
>> way native speakers use it seems to be more (?)
>> "både och" which means discussion can go both
>> (disparate) ways and BOTH are correct! So perhaps
>> one could have a list of these "trap phrases" so
>> when they turn up in the text, they are
>> highlighted to indicate "watch out! we are not
>> just piling words here!" Who'd compile that list
>> is another matter...
>
> I guess this is a very minor problem...

It depends how many there are... should be systemized
just as everything unusual is in any trade.
Easy thing to do with huge gain and possible to build
on and extend...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573