Re: Emacs as a translator's tool

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs as a translator's tool
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 05:15:20 +0200

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand where you're drifting.
>
> Idiomatic translations can be helped with tools,
> but as we see with MT, even the best tools still
> fail to produce correct idiomatic translations.
>
> Which is the reason why I wrote "that is exactly
> what the translator is here for", meaning that the
> translator is here to ensure that the translation
> is idiomatic.
>
> The tool can help the translator to produce
> a string that the translator will validate
> as idiomatic.

A file with common pitfalls and idiomatic
translations can help both machine AND human
translators find the idiomatic translation, or, if
there isn't one really, what people would say
instead...

"Good enough for government work" - there is no such
expression in Swedish - "good enough for the intended
purpose" - "tillräckligt bra för det avsedda
ändamålet" (sounds extremely dorky, no one would ever
say that) - "det duger" - ?

"Have one on the house" - there is no ... - etc etc -
"vi kan bjucka på den"

???

--
underground experts united