Re: Emacs as a translator's tool

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Emacs as a translator's tool
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 16:35:25 +0900

> On Jun 5, 2020, at 15:43, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text
> editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>
>> x commercial → professional, if you don't mind :)
>> OmegaT is very much a professional tool and
>> certainly not a "commercial" one. [...]
>
> OK, so this is what it is all about, it is having
> a database of translations and then an algorithm that
> searches that.

That's correct. A lot of tools do that. Most of them don't give very good
results, because the developers don't care much.

> Other than that, one needs a pretty simple interface
> that applies all that (DB + search), with the
> sentences in the source langauge as indata - the
> outdata is the translation suggestions found in
> the DB.

That's correct.

> And if there are no hits the translator types the
> translation and then this in turn gets inserted into
> the database...

That's correct too.

> Sounds very boring, virtually using a click-and-play
> application, I would much rather just read and type.
> But I suppose that isn't efficient enough this day
> and age?

? I don't know what you are talking about.

> But as for this discussion how to do it, it suddenly
> becomes a question of using Emacs (the interface) to
> use OmegaT's resources (DB + search)...

No.

You asked for a description of a translator's workflow. I gave you one, pretty
detailed, and not dependent on any tool.

Emacs can work with databases (sqlite for ex) and have the matching engine
written in emacslisp.

> But count me out...

I never counted on you to do whatever. You asked for a workflow, I gave you one.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com