Sv: Opening multiple files in a single buffer?

From: arthur miller
Subject: Sv: Opening multiple files in a single buffer?
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 06:58:04 +0000

That sounds great!
________________________________
Från: help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs-bounces+arthur.miller=live.com@gnu.org>
för Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org>
Skickat: den 14 juni 2020 22:14
Till: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Ämne: Re: Opening multiple files in a single buffer?

> Wonder how fast it would work with emacs src directory by opening all .h
> anc .c files, some of which are 5k+ lines of code. If that is the case
> for refactorisation and similar.

I just tried this.  With "cat *.h *.c > all.c" in the Emacs src directory,
the resulting file is 11 MB, for about 370K source lines.  Opening and
using that file, with c-mode, font-lock-mode, transient-mark-mode,
hl-line-mode and display-line-numbers-mode (and a few others), works
without any visible problems.  I tried e.g. to insert some code at random
places, to kill the second half ot the buffer and to yank it as its first
part, to query-replace-regexp the 1652 occurrences of "E\([^ ]*\)s " with
"Es\1 ", to narrow-to-region/widen, ...  The Emacs process did not use
more than 120 MB.

Gregory