Re: package-autoremove ?

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: package-autoremove ?
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 12:08:12 +0530

David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:

> The package-autoremove is giving a list of packages to be removed, but
> many of the packages seem to be dependents of other packages, so I
> don't want to remove them.  How does package-autoremove decide on
> which packages can be removed?  Can I force it to keep some of the
> packages?

I have faced a similar issue when I was re-writing my init.el to
modularize using use-package. It split the big file into tiny little
files.

In my case, the problem was that the packages where installed as a
dependency and actual call (use-package package-name :ensure t) for
those packages were not encountered by the interpreter.

I debugged it using a very inefficient method. Commented out the
(require ...)  statements from the init.el and uncommented one-by-one to
find the problem.