Re: Emacs Calendar - Removing holidays

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Emacs Calendar - Removing holidays
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 20:47:18 +0100

Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:

> Could you give some examples of "diary symbolic expressions" and how
> they would be useful for setting work dates.

The Emacs diary supports symbolic expressions that return a boolean
value depending on the free variable `date'. Functions that can be used
in such expressions are described in the manual.  As a special non-nil
value a string describing the event, and a cons (mark . string)
including a mark type for the calendar are allowed.  See
`diary-lunar-phases' for an example.

The good thing is that anything Elisp supports is allowed to be used in
such expressions.  The bad thing is that not so super many are
predefined.

> I am particularly interested in marking dates that are available for
> deadlines, meetings.  And another for those already set with
> deadlines, meetings, etc.

For org?  For that you would need to have a predicate that would tell
whether a given `date' is available or not.  I guess someone on the
org-mode user list might have an idea how to implement that.  Maybe
reusing some of the agenda code.  Depending on how your meetings
etc. are specified.

Regards,

Michael.