Re: Understanding the "let" construct and the setting of variables

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Understanding the "let" construct and the setting of variables
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 23:00:59 +0300

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [2020-12-18 22:19]:
> > > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs
> >
> > Maybe. But I have got a feeling that is unused search. What I was
> > meaning but did not express it that search should be exposed to
> > public.
>
> How is it not exposed to the public?
>
> Maybe you mean it isn't advertised as well as it could be?
> Feel free to advertise it.  And yes, Emacs itself could
> advertise it by putting it in the Help menu.

Official Emacs website points out to various other official Emacs
related resources:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/documentation.html

But who will watch the website? Just small number of actual
users. Emacs is by my feeling just installed as part of GNU/Linux
system by the OS package manager.

>From Emacs itself it is harder to find Emacs website, I do not even
know how. How will users find mailing lists from within Emacs?

> I think you've already filed an enhancement request for
> adding mailing lists to the Help menu, but if you haven't:
> `M-x report-emacs-bug' is the way to do that.

Yes, who knows if it will be implemented, it requires consensus,
reviews, judgments, discussions.

> > Great is to have search engine. But people are not there, they are on
> > Reddit, stackexchange.
>
> Feel free to point them from there to the mailing list
> and its (searchable) archive.

A curated index that points to various messages and answers some
common questions is useful to be published on static pages as that
would be picked up by search engines.