Re: Help configuring a keyboard for Emacs

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Help configuring a keyboard for Emacs
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 07:53:27 +0000

Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:

> Francis Belliveau <f.belliveau@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> Juan,
>>
>> Robert had some good information.
>> However, in general one needs to develop what I have heard called "The Emacs
>> Claw".
>
> Sticky keys completely removes the need for such keyboard contortions.

I have never got on with sticky keys.  But it's a reasonable idea.

There's also "God-mode" which makes Emacs rather like Vi.  It becomes
modal with the ESC key switching between insert and command modes.  The
difference between that an Vi emuluation is that it uses Emacs
default keybindings.  I don't use this, but it's another possibility.

One thing I forgot to mention is view-mode.  That's a built-in,
read-only mode and I find it very useful for reading all sorts of files.
It applies keybindings similar to info, so space and del do scrolling.
I have a keybinding defined for switching view-mode on and off.

I sometimes read things like code in view-mode first, then switch it off
when I need to edit.

BR,
Robert Thorpe