Re: cannot ssh edit a file

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: cannot ssh edit a file
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 07:21:12 -0600

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
> I'm using emacs 26.3 on ubuntu linux, and I cannot tramp via ssh into
> a machine to edit files.
> What happens is that once I digit /ssh:luca@remotehost: Emacs freezes.

I use ~/.ssh/config to configure my hosts. Something like:

Host remotehost
     User               mename
     HostName           aa.bb.cc.dd
     Port               5555
     IdentityFile       ~/.ssh/remotehost

Then

C-x C-f /ssh:remotehost: RET

opens the home directory of `mename'.

To troubleshoot, I would suggest configuring the host as above and then
executing

ssh -v -v remotehost

in the terminal. That will likely give you an idea of what is wrong.

----

Alternatively, I would suggest using sshfs.

Leo