Re: cannot ssh edit a file

From: Luca Ferrari
Subject: Re: cannot ssh edit a file
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 08:59:04 +0100

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 4:30 PM Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:
> Please set tramp-verbose to 10, and rerun the test. There will be a
> Tramp debug buffer, which shall tell us what's happening.

I must be doing something wrong, since I've done (setq tramp-verbose
10) and evaluated the buffer, but nothing appeared anywhere (both with
or without -Q startup).

I've changed the shell from zsh to bash, I've changed the prompt
according to suggestions to get a standard prompt, but the symptoms
are the same.
I've checked that logging into different machines works, so I've
problem only with a FreeBSD host and a Fedora host that are currently
not working fine.
I've tried to ssh with or without keys but when Emacs has to open a
file it freezes. I've also tried, as a desperate approach, to connect
via IP instead of hostname, but nothing changed.
What puzzles me is that I cannot see the connection established on the
remote side.

Luca