Re: cannot ssh edit a file

From: Luca Ferrari
Subject: Re: cannot ssh edit a file
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 17:25:17 +0100

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 4:45 PM Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 3:20 AM Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 7:54 PM Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Indeed. Right there in the FAQ.
>> > https://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Frequently-Asked-Questions
>>
>> Apparently I'm too dumb to set the dumb terminal:
>> % ssh luca@miguel 'tail -n 1 .zshrc'
>> [[ $TERM == "dumb" ]] && unsetopt zle && PS1='$ ' && return
>>
>> While I confirm I have zsh on the remote host, with the adam prompt
>> that uses colors, I've also tried to change the shell to bash without
>> any fancy prompt and nothing has changed.
>> As well as wth the dumb terminal Emacs still freezes.
>> And again, I've tried another user on the remote side that has a sh,
>> so no fancy prompts at all!
>>
>> I'm able to connect with the tramp ssh command:
>>
>> % ssh -l luca  -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o
>> ControlPersist=no -e none miguel
>> Last login: Tue Feb 23 08:58:09 2021 from n261732
>> luca@miguel ~ %
>

> So right here I think you're still showing evidence that whatever you're
> doing to attempt to change the PS1 isn't taking.  The prompt (if your
> customizations were working) should be `$ ` exactly, not `luca@miguel ~ %`.

Yes, because I mistakenly added the "dumb" line to the end of the
file, instead of the head. Now I've fixed:

% ssh -l luca  -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o
ControlPersist=no -e none miguel
Last login: Tue Feb 23 17:19:39 2021 from n261732
$

however, nothing has changed, and launching emacs with tramp verbose:

% /opt/emacs/emacs26.3/bin/emacs -Q --eval '(setq tramp-verbose 10)'

and opening an ssh file I got emacs frozen as before, but the tramp
buffer does not shows anything at all even after minutes.

I'm quite depressed!

Luca