Re: cannot ssh edit a file

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: cannot ssh edit a file
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 11:37:43 -0500

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 11:25 AM Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 4:45 PM Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 3:20 AM Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> https://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Frequently-Asked-Questions
> >>
> >> Apparently I'm too dumb to set the dumb terminal:
> >> % ssh luca@miguel 'tail -n 1 .zshrc'
> >> [[ $TERM == "dumb" ]] && unsetopt zle && PS1='$ ' && return
> >>
> >> While I confirm I have zsh on the remote host, with the adam prompt
> >> that uses colors, I've also tried to change the shell to bash without
> >> any fancy prompt and nothing has changed.
> >> As well as wth the dumb terminal Emacs still freezes.
> >> And again, I've tried another user on the remote side that has a sh,
> >> so no fancy prompts at all!
> >>
> >> I'm able to connect with the tramp ssh command:
> >>
> >> % ssh -l luca  -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o
> >> ControlPersist=no -e none miguel
> >> Last login: Tue Feb 23 08:58:09 2021 from n261732
> >> luca@miguel ~ %
> >

> > So right here I think you're still showing evidence that whatever you're
> doing to attempt to change the PS1 isn't taking.  The prompt (if your
> customizations were working) should be `$ ` exactly, not `luca@miguel ~
> %`.
>
> Yes, because I mistakenly added the "dumb" line to the end of the
> file, instead of the head. Now I've fixed:
>
> % ssh -l luca  -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o
> ControlPersist=no -e none miguel
> Last login: Tue Feb 23 17:19:39 2021 from n261732
> $
>

> however, nothing has changed, and launching emacs with tramp verbose:
>
> % /opt/emacs/emacs26.3/bin/emacs -Q --eval '(setq tramp-verbose 10)'
>
> and opening an ssh file I got emacs frozen as before, but the tramp
> buffer does not shows anything at all even after minutes.
>
> I'm quite depressed!

Unfortunately if the tramp traces aren't available I think there's nothing
else I can do to help you. I would just be sure to double check everything
to make sure you're typing everything accurately etc. I haven't seen the
TRAMP debug facilities fail like that and that's pretty battle-tested
software so I think it's likely that you're simply mistyping something.

Good luck!