Re: cannot ssh edit a file

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: cannot ssh edit a file
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 17:40:00 +0100

Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:

> Until you can use that ssh command and get a prompt that's exactly `$
> ` I don't think there's much else (I at least) can do to help you. I
> don't know zsh at all so I can't help you figure out why your prompt
> customization isn't helping. Perhaps zsh has a mailing list or other
> forum you can use?

Tramp 2.5 has some better support for settins zsh options. You could try:

- Install Tramp 2.5.0.1 from GNU ELPA. It shall be compatible with Emacs 26.

- Assure, that your Emacs uses this Tramp package, and not the builtin
  one. Once you have loaded Tramp, check variable tramp-version.

- Apply the following setting in your .emacs, prior accessing the remote
  host:

     (add-to-list 'tramp-connection-properties
                  (list (regexp-quote "/sshx:user@host:")
                        "remote-shell" "/usr/bin/zsh"))

  "user" and "host" must be adapted.

- Use "sshx" to open a remote file, like "C-x C-f /sshx:user@host:".