Re: cannot ssh edit a file

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: cannot ssh edit a file
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 09:26:49 -0500

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 4:56 AM Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 4:45 PM Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Can you reproduce the problem from `emacs -Q`?
>

> Apparently this works a little better: it does not freeze on the colon
> typing, but when I try to open a file the minibuffer keeps saying
> "Waiting for prompts from remote shell..." and the connection is not
> established. This happens both with remote users that have zsh or sh
> as login shells.
> The only difference is that with sh as default shell, the minibuffer
> says "Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on miguel" (miguel being the
> remote host) and nothing happens, no connection is made.
> I've inspected connections from the remote host point of view, and
> there is no ssh connection reported by netstat.

So from `emacs -Q` did you apply Óscar's advice regarding setting the TRAMP
verbosity level? This feels likely to be an ssh configuration problem on
either the local end (in ~/.ssh/config etc.) or on the remote end in your
shell init files. TRAMP can be particularly difficult to debug in this kind
of situation, though.

My post about how to only customize your prompt when the shell is
interactive may be interesting to you as well.
https://blog.twonegatives.com/post/615830090370187264/effective-emacs-how-to-have-your-fancy-prompt-and