Re: Make Super key work in console

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Make Super key work in console
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 11:49:46 -0500

>> > I was surprised to learn that Konsole chose to translate Super+<key>
>> > into C-x @ s <key>, exactly what Emacs interprets back as S-<key>.
>> Yuck!
> Why "Yuck"?

Terminal's escape sequences should start with ESC.

Also, is `C-x @ s ESC` presumed to be `s-ESC` or is it `super` applied to
the escape sequence that this ESC starts?

I mean, our encoding is poor (since it doesn't allow combining several
`C-x @` together, for example), but it can be justified by the desire to
cater to the most common case without unduly burdening the user how has
to type those keys.

But for a terminal emulator, the one who "types those keys" is the
terminal emulator, so it wouldn't be "burdened" by having to type
a few more keys to have a clear and unambiguous encoding.

> This is in no way singular: many terminal emulators convert
> M-SOMETHING into ESC SOMETHING, at least as an option.

That also somewhat sucks, but *much* less (and it was done at a time
when you could argue that resource constraints made it important to have
a "short and simple" approach rather than a "general, robust, and
reliable" one).

        Stefan