Re: Make Super key work in console

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Make Super key work in console
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 14:18:57 +0700

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 at 12:32, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> Now in /usr/share/terminfo I can find entries like `ibmpc' or `unixpc'
> do you think any of them could have the Super key entry there? I have
> tried using such with Emacs in console but do not see that Super key
> is working.
>
> As maybe just changing $TERM variable could make it work, what do you
> think?

Terminfo database entries do not *define* how terminals work. They
*describe* it so that applications can decode the character stream
they receive.

By changing your TERM variable, you tell your applications “Disregard
what my terminal emulator says about itself (if anything); treat it as
if it were what I say”. It’s an escape hatch, not a configuration
facility.

> Maybe it is possible to define new terminfo file that supports all the
> keys commonly found on today's keyboard.

It would be possible, but you would still need a terminal emulator
that actually emits the sequences you put in that terminfo entry.